Filing for this year’s Seattle City Council closes today, though many of the races are well underway. All seats on the Council are up for grabs, due to the passage of a district-voting initiative. That means Seattle’s favorite socialist, Kshama Sawant, faces re-election a little sooner than usual.
In honor of her upcoming campaign, we here at Shift would like to share the Top 5 most absurd things Sawant has done and/or said during her first term as a councilmember… Enjoy!
- Sawant’s arrest at a protest in SeaTac over Alaska Airline’s push to block the $15 minimum wage. While being led away in handcuffs, Sawant compared her “life-threatening” situation to “all the best activists in the past and in the present.”
- Sawant’s call for a “militant” movement to stop global warming. Her words, “And what we were talking about last night was that this collective action needs to be channeled into a really radical, militant, nonviolent mass movement that will raise concrete political demands.”
- Sawant’s sponsorship of a measure to change Columbus Day to Indigenous People’s Day in Seattle. Her resolution stated, “The City of Seattle has a responsibility to oppose the systematic racism towards Indigenous people in the United States.” The City Council passed the resolution unanimously.
- Sawant’s insistence that she is receiving media attention not because of the economic absurdity that is a $15 minimum wage, but because of the energy and passion exhibited by the movement she helped start…. And because “people everywhere are questioning the capitalist system.” According to Sawant, the Cold War gave Communism a bad name, but “a lot of people are rational today, especially the ones who weren’t around in the Cold War.”
- Sawant’s demand that the Seattle City Council send a letter to President Barack Obama demanding that the U.S. cut off military aid to Israel. When the Council refused, Sawant said the letter would only be from her.
Sawant’s arrest at a protest in SeaTac over Alaska Airline’s push to block the $15 minimum wage.
The judge dismissed the case against her, noting it was the police, not Sawant and her fellow protestors, who had caused trouble. So, is your real target here the police, or the prosecutor — none of whom did their jobs properly?
Sawant’s call for a “militant” movement to stop global warming.
Because proposing a global solution to a global problem which affects her constituents is just wrong. It just is. Because shut up, that’s why.
Sawant’s sponsorship of a measure to change Columbus Day to Indigenous People’s Day in Seattle. […] The City Council passed the resolution unanimously.
Getting bills passed is not the job of a Council member. Trust us on this one.
Sawant’s insistence that she is receiving media attention not because of the economic absurdity that is a $15 minimum wage,
Tell us again, how many jobs have been lost in SeaTac after that city went to a $15/hour minimum wage? How is Seattle’s employment rate doing, as our minimum wage rises here? (Ask the Washington Policy Center; they seem to like such topics, right?)
When the Council refused, Sawant said the letter would only be from her.
Citizens should have no say in where their tax money goes. When it goes for brutal military attacks upon civilians, citizens should not, absolutely not ever, attempt to “petition the government for a redress of grievances,” because that’s just not the American way.
And as usual, the good little socialist drone comes out to her defense. Gotta earn that EBT card, eh tensor?
No factual support of the attacks on her, not even an attempt at rebuttal of the facts provided in her support. Nothing but name-calling and inaccurate ad hominem attacks.
Don’t worry, we didn’t expect any better of you.
When is the last time you held a job, Tensor? And BTW, I have learned long ago that presenting facts to a government worshiping lemming like you is just a waste of time because they will be far, far beyond your comprehension. You will continue to worship at the altar of the all powerful .gov and depend on it for your very existence. It is your religion. Facts will never change your mind[what little there is left].
Yep, more irrelevant and inaccurate ad hominem attacks, along with your usual weak dodges when asked for relevant information.
I hope Council Member Sawant’s opponents bring actual substance to our District 3 elections, because there’s little chance of anyone beating her with the vapid material this site provides, and I’d prefer a competitive election.
So you prefer an even more rabid stalinist? And you wonder why posters don’t even bother to try and present evidence to you? Really?
And you wonder why posters don’t even bother to try and present evidence to you?
Who said I “wonder” about it? I know perfectly well why you don’t.
That’s why I explicitly stated I “didn’t expect any better of you,” above.
Even if I DID present a solid argument with concrete evidence, your worship of all things .gov would preclude you from seeing the truth and changing your ‘mind’.
Even if I DID present a solid argument with concrete evidence,
That was an exceedingly lame attempt at a dodge the first time you tried it, and repeated failure hasn’t improved it.
Bradley Whaley says
Are you and Sawant related or is this just a crush? Perhaps both?