The national press seems to be quite enamored with the ongoing train wreck that is the Donald Trump campaign, and it certainly is news when embarrassing private statements from a major presidential candidate are made public. And, make no mistake, Trump’s comments are far worse than embarrassing.
However, the “other” major party presidential nominee is also having quite a bit of private communication being released – at least those she has not deleted – and it is not quite getting anywhere near the same front-page treatment. Has anyone heard a reporter ask a Democrat candidate if they were going to vote for Hillary Clinton?
Yet, just consider what we’ve learned in the last week from the emails of Hillary Clinton’s confidants, including her campaign chairman, John Podesta:
- That her campaign communications director was so dismissive of Catholics “that Catholic and evangelical groups slammed Hillary Clinton’s campaign in a statement Thursday over comments revealed in the WikiLeaks emails hack between two high-level campaign officials. Dozens of religious leaders who signed the statement expressed their ‘outrage at the demeaning and troubling rhetoric used by those within Secretary Clinton’s campaign.’”
- That Qatar wanted to present Bill Clinton with a $1 million “birthday present” for the Clinton Foundation to use in Haiti.
- That Clinton staff and outside liberal groups were involved in pushing former HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius out of office over the disastrous Obamacare rollout
- That Clinton’s campaign thought so little of Sen. Bernie Sanders supporters that they aimed to mollify them at the national convention with a fake victory, “it’s critical that all delegates, especially those representing losing candidates, emerge from the convention feeling that they have won something, achieved something tangible … especially with people like Bernie’s sometimes self-righteous ideologues. We want them to go home happy and enthusiastic in working their asses off for Hillary.”
- That the speeches which earned Clinton millions – which she won’t release – were filled with praise of all the Left’s favorite bogeymen – Wall Street, Wal-Mart, etc.
Yet, perhaps the worst part of the release of the private campaign emails – so far – is that they show Hillary Clinton to be exactly what people don’t like about her – untrustworthy. The email trail shows a duplicitous, scheming politico who is willing to throw old colleagues under the bus, and abandon her principals is pursuit of the presidency.
As one CNN pundit said, “And those progressives, the ‘Bernie or Bust-ers’ who are either going to sit this out or go for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson, this doesn’t help her with those folks and those millennial voters who … going back to 2008 didn’t really trust her, didn’t trust her in this election and have been tailing off in terms of their support.”