Democrat presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is a self-proclaimed socialist. Seattle City Councilmember Kshama Sawant is also a self-proclaimed socialist. Through the years, they have both made outrageous – and sometimes comical– comments. See if you can tell the difference by taking our quiz (the answer key is at the bottom of the page).
Who said it Sanders or Sawant?
- “This campaign’s success is truly historic in what we’ve done. We’ve shown that a truly grassroots campaign, taking no money from big business, not seeking endorsements from the Democratic party establishment, can run an unabashedly left campaign.”
- “We believe in Democratic socialism, meaning that is truly a Democratic society and economy where the resource of productive activity (sic) are geared towards solving the most urgent problems of society and the goal of society is to deliver a really decent standard of living for everybody on the planet and to do it in an environmentally sustainable way.”
- “In the United States, we have the most unequal level of wealth and income distribution of any major country on Earth, and it’s worse now then at any other time since the 1920s…”
- “There’s more than enough resources but it’s a political question about how those resources are distributed and who has access to wealth.”
- “In terms of socialism, I think there is a lot to be learned from Scandinavia and from some of the work, very good work that people have done in Europe. In countries like Finland, Norway, Denmark, poverty has almost been eliminated.”
- “What we have seen in this country is an unfettered type of cowboy capitalism, and the result of that has been, that the people on top have made out like bandits and many of them are bandits. Today in America we have a situation that is quickly moving out of control.”
- “The only way we really transform America… is through a political revolution.”
- “The majority of American people, even if they don’t consider themselves Socialist or may not know what it means, one thing is true, they are fed up with capitalism.”
Picture from KUOW
Leave a Reply